The Walk for Hunger

Food For Free

SUPPORT TEAM FOOD FOR FREE!

Join our team for the 53rd annual (virtual) Walk for Hunger! A long-loved event, Project Bread’s Walk For Hunger has helped provide over 1 billion meals to hungry people and has been a vehicle to raise funds to support and expand community solutions to hunger throughout the state. Through Project Bread's Commonwealth Program, 60% of the money raised by the Food For Free Team will go directly to Food For Free. The other 40% will go to the Walk Fund which helps fund food programs across the state.
 
Our Mission: Food For Free improves access to healthy food within our community by rescuing food that would otherwise go to waste, strengthening the community food system, and creating new distribution channels to reach under-served populations. Food For Free envisions a future where everyone in our community—regardless of age, income or ability—has consistent access to fresh, healthy, delicious food.
 
Food For Free accomplishes its mission through food rescue, partnerships with schools, colleges, and community food programs, and our own direct service programs. In the last year, Food For Free distributed 3 million pounds of nutritious food to more than 30,000 people throughout Greater Boston.
 
Food For Free has worked to bridge the gaps in the emergency food system for forty years. Since the onset of the pandemic, the non-profit has responded swiftly when food pantries and schools closed by creating a free grocery delivery service for those in need, working with local public schools to provide meals and groceries, and helping local housing developments create their own free food markets.
 
Our newest program, Just Eats, provides boxes of fresh vegetables and pantry staples to food programs in Cambridge, Chelsea, East Boston, Somerville, and other nearby communities. These "grab and go" boxes offer community programs a great way to hold safe food distributions during the pandemic, keeping clients, staff, and volunteers safe, while providing our community with fresh healthy foods.
 
Learn more about Food For Free at foodforfree.org
View More

 

The Commonwealth 

Our team is participating in The Commonwealth - a fundraising share program where 60% of the funds raised by our team will support Food For Free.


Have a question? Check out our website, or email walk@projectbread.org.

View More